Sunday, December 01, 2013

Bridge Match 2 - Board 29

Board 29 – Dealer North – All Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Doubleton
Opponents playing strength: Fair

My hand: A 7 4 T 9 5 Q 9 2 A T 5 4

Partner opens 1NT (weak). My balanced 10 count plus his balanced 12-14 count means we should make 1NT and not much else so I pass. West bids 2 clubs alerted as showing the majors. East bids 2 spades after partner passes. Do I want to let them play 2 spades? We have most of the points but they presumably have most of the spades. My only option would be 2NT I think and it feels like if we're making that we're probably setting 2 spades and if we're not making it we're in trouble vulnerable. So I pass and so does everyone else.

I don't know what to lead. Through strength might make sense, so I lead the T of hearts.


WEST
J 9 6 2
A K J 6 3
J 6
6 3


SOUTH
A 7 4
T 9 5
Q 9 2
A T 5 4


West North East South
1NT1 Pass Pass
22 Pass 2 All Pass
112-14
2Both majors

T-K-7-8. I believe partner probably has the Q and is trying to signal high with the 7. Declarer cashes a second heart. A-4-2-5. He then ruffs out partner's Q. 3-Q-3 of spades-9. He has two hearts set up on board if he can draw trump and find an entry over there. Like, say, the J of spades.

Declarer is in hand and shifts to a low club. 2-5-6-8. Partner decides to cash clubs. K-9-4-3. Then he shifts to a diamond. 4-5-Q-6.

I'm in. What is partner trying to do? I suspect he's just trying to take out tricks and go home. Hopefully he has a high diamond and I return one for him. 2-J-K-A. Declarer cashes his high diamond. T-9-6 of hearts-7. Then he ruffs a club. 7-T-2 of spades-Q. A heart back. J-8 of diamonds-8 of spades-???

Am I supposed to ruff here? If I pitch they win the trick and need only one of the last 3 tricks. Partner can't have both the K and Q of spades so declarer has at least one of them. If he has both he gets at least one trick, obviously. If declarer has the T along with the honour he can guarantee a trick too. So I need to assume partner has KT. But even then declarer can set up a trick. So if I pitch they make. Guess I need to overruff even though that's normally wrong. I win with the A.

I'm pretty sure partner has the last club so leading that is a ruff and sluff. But drawing trump is bad too. Maybe partner pitched properly and has a diamond left? Sure, run it! I lead a club. A-9 of spades-T of spades-J. Woo! Partner has the K of spades back to take the last trick. Down 1!



NORTH
K T 5
Q 7 4
K 8 7 4
K Q 8

WEST
♠ J 9 6 2
A K J 6 3
J 6
6 3

EAST
♠ Q 8 3
8 2
A T 5 3
J 9 7 2

SOUTH
A 7 4
T 9 5
Q 9 2
A T 5 4


2 of the NS pairs got to play 1NT and made up one for more points than we got. One NS pair played 1NT just in for fewer points. One EW pair tried 2 hearts and went down 1. And three NS pairs tried 3NT and went down. So we get 9 MPs.

Captain Jack disagrees with my opening lead. If I lead a heart I should lead the 9, not the T. I guess we're probably playing Rusinow leads? Also he wants me to draw trump with the 4 to start.

Ranking after board 29/60: 3/16 with 55.42%

No comments: