Sunday, November 21, 2010

Scars of Mirrodin Draft 4

Based on Mark's comment to one of my drafts from last weekend I decided to run an 8-4 draft today with every intention of drafting poison if I could manage it. I used to have a Marsh Viper/Fire Whip deck way back when Weatherlight first came out and have had a soft spot for poison ever since. Here we go...




  Pack 1 pick 1:




  My Pick:

A lot of good choices here for a normal deck. Battlesphere is very powerful when you can get it into play. Riddlesmith and Razor Hippogryph are very strong and cheaper. But I want to play poison, so...





  Pack 1 pick 2:




  My Pick:

Thank you, gods of Magic. Powerful poison rare passed to me? Don't mind if I do!





  Pack 1 pick 3:




  My Pick:

This guy can break stalemates. A little slow for a good poison deck I think, but an ok finisher.





  Pack 1 pick 4:




  My Pick:

If I want to commit to the common GB then I can take Painsmith here, but poison tends to be artifact light and I want my 2 drops to have infect or maybe be mana myr. Lifestaff fills the very empty 1 slot in a poison deck and really increases your clock when equipped to a random 1/1 infect dude.





  Pack 1 pick 5:




  My Pick:

Ew, no poison cards at all. Most of my cards so far are ok in a real green deck too, so I took the beast in case I have to audible into a fatty deck.





  Pack 1 pick 6:




  My Pick:

Good enough for 1st pick is good enough for 6th pick.





  Pack 1 pick 7:




  My Pick:

I could take the beast, or the land here. Withstand Death is underrated though, I think, especially when you have an army of Tel-Jilad Fallen. They spend their one blocker who can trade with him and you make him indestructible? Not bad. Hopefully I don't have to play it though.





  Pack 1 pick 8:




  My Pick:

Do I really want 2 Withstand Death's? Naw. Raredraft!





  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:

When I looked at my opening pack and thought about poison I actually thought I could probably table this. Woo!





  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:

Maybe I want fog?





  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:

Raredraft!





  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




  My Pick:

It doesn't show up here but the Memoricide was foil and I thought about taking it for the moneys. I love Necropede though and don't have any 2s yet.





  Pack 2 pick 2:




  My Pick:

Lots of good cards here. If I had a more typical creature mix so far I'd take the Blight Mamba, but with 2 Fallen and a Putrefax I want the unblockableness.





  Pack 2 pick 3:




  My Pick:

Here's where I need to decide if I'm playing BG or mono-G. I decide on mono-G in large part because of the last pick. I have a lot of double-G spells and don't like the mana base with a lot of double-B spells too.





  Pack 2 pick 4:




  My Pick:

Love this guy! He helps you win wars of attrition which is my standard way of trying to deal with opposing poison decks. Just trade until they run out of dudes.





  Pack 2 pick 5:




  My Pick:

VERY slow, and I'm not a huge fan, but it at least goes in my deck. Spellbomb in mono-G is pretty weak and I doubt I'll find anything I want to splash.





  Pack 2 pick 6:




  My Pick:

Yeah, who would want to splash a bounce spell?





  Pack 2 pick 7:




  My Pick:

Do you know who's an elf? Tel-Jilad Fallen is an elf. Oh yeah baby. Oh yeah.





  Pack 2 pick 8:




  My Pick:

Speak of the devil...





  Pack 2 pick 9:




  My Pick:

If I'm not playing mono-G I'd rather splash a 2 drop than a 4 drop. My deck is super clogged at 4 as it is.





  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:

See? Super clogged.





  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:

ELF!





  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




  My Pick:

Almost makes me want to splash red, but I don't have enough 4 drops yet...





  Pack 3 pick 2:




  My Pick:

Very tempted by the removal, but it costs 4. My 3 slot is pretty empty (where are you cystbearer) and this helps squeeze the last few poison through. Or keeps me alive!





  Pack 3 pick 3:




  My Pick:

Maybe I'll splash red after all? Maybe this should have been the spellbomb to power the blue splash?





  Pack 3 pick 4:




  My Pick:

RAGE!





  Pack 3 pick 5:




  My Pick:

More 1 drops.





  Pack 3 pick 6:




  My Pick:

More 4 drops...?





  Pack 3 pick 7:




  My Pick:

Something to do on turn 3.





  Pack 3 pick 8:




  My Pick:

Yeah, whatever.





  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:

More 1 drops!





  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!

Deck

1 Corpse Cur
1 Ichorclaw Myr
1 Trigon of Rage
1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
1 Tumble Magnet
2 Trigon of Infestation
1 Strider Harness
1 Bellowing Tanglewurm
1 Necropede
2 Tangle Angler
1 Carrion Call
18 Forest
3 Tel-Jilad Fallen
1 Untamed Might
1 Withstand Death
1 Putrefax
3 Sylvok Lifestaff

Sideboard
1 Tunnel Ignus
1 Island
1 Tel-Jilad Defiance
1 Forest
1 Painful Quandary
1 Plains
1 Disperse
1 Ezuri's Archers
1 Psychic Miasma
1 Goblin Gaveleer
1 Oxidda Daredevil
2 Blunt the Assault
1 Thrummingbird
1 Relic Putrescence
2 Flameborn Hellion
1 Ferrovore
1 Shatter
1 Venser's Journal
1 Soul Parry
1 Molder Beast
1 Stoic Rebuttal


With so much in the 4 slot and a couple trigons to use extra mana anyway I decided to go up to 18 lands. I did run the Withstand Death but didn't have to run the Tel-Jilad Defiance.


Round 1 - Game 1

My opponent wins the roll and chooses to go first. He mulligans to 6 and my hand is F F F strider-harness tel-jilad-fallen necropede ichorclaw-myr which is an obvious keeper.

He starts with a salvage scout. I draw a second fallen and say go. He casts memnite and origin spellbomb. I draw a lifestaff and play my necropede intending to trade for his two dudes. He attacks, I trade, and he says go without playing a 3rd land or sacccing his spellbomb. I draw forest and play my myr and lifestaff. He sacs at end of turn, plays a land, and says go. I draw tangle angler, poison him for 1 with my myr, and play a fallen.

He misses a land drop again and says go. I draw forest. He dispenses some justice on my attack but it just costs me my myr and the fallen poisons him for 3. I play another fallen. He scoops.

Round 1 - Game 2

He chooses to play again and my hand is F F F F putrefax untamed-might ezuris-archer (which I sided in because he was playing WU with lots of 1/1s.) Not a lot of action but I keep it.

He starts with a turn 1 veldaken certarch. I draw a green trigon and play my elf. He plays a glint hawk idol and says go. I draw a forest and say go. He plays a gold myr and swings with the idol. I block to try to keep him under metalcraft and spend my pump spell to keep my 1/2 alive. He plays a glint hawk post combat, bouncing the myr. I draw another forest and can't do anything. He swings with the hawk and I trade. He plays another glint hawk idol and his myr. I draw ichorclaw myr and play the trigon.

He plays a heavy arbalest and hits me for 3. Now he has metalcraft which he uses to tap a forest on upkeep. I let it happen, draw a tangle angler, and play my myr. In retrospect since he could use glint hawk idol + arbalest + 5 mana to kill my 1/1s I probably should have played the tangle angler. Fortunately he doesn't see that combo and instead taps his 4 land to equip his mana myr. I make a dude at end of turn.

I draw tumble magnet which will let me shut down his combo for a couple turns if he notices it. Instead I attack for 1 poison (he kills my myr) and play tangle angler. He doesn't draw a 5th land and chooses to activate his idol and hit me for 2. I make a dude at end of turn.

I draw a lifestaff and declare an attack. He taps an insect, I attack with angler and insect and have to sac both to a dispense justice. Post combat I cast lifestaff and magnet. He finally draws a 5th land and activates his idol. He tries to equip it and I tap it in response. I make a dude at end of turn. I draw a fallen. I declare an attack and he doesn't tap anything so I swing for 2 poison. I cast fallen and he taps my magnet at end of turn.

He chooses to equip his certarch and attack with his idol. I charge my trigon at end of turn. I draw tangle angler. Looking at the board now I had a way to win this turn. I can tap his certarch forcing him to kill my fallen pre-combat. Then I can cast putrefax, equip it, and swing for 8 poison. He has 3 poison already and just a 1/1 to block with. Instead I declare an attack. He kills my fallen and eats 2 poison. I play tangle angler post combat and say go. He scoops.

Round 2 - Game 1

My opponent wins the roll and chooses to go first. My opener is F F F F Ezuri tangle-angler carrion-call which is a keeper. He does nothing on turn 1 and I draw a forest. He does nothing on turn 2 and I draw a forest. He plays a mimic vat on turn 3 and I draw a fallen. I play Ezuri. He does nothing on turn 4. (He has 4 islands in play so he may be colour screwed.) I draw a forest and play my fallen. I don't attack with Ezuri though I don't think there was any downside to doing so. I win by poison though, right?

He plays a sky eel school on turn 5 and discards silver myr. I draw a necropede. My options here are to swing and regenerate when he chumps (lets him get mimic vat online) and play angler post combat. Or not attack and just play tangle angler. Or I can swing and overrun, getting in for 5 damage and 3 poison. Seems ok, so I go for that. He blocks the fallen and I overrun. He plays a Screeching Skyclaw on his turn and I draw another forest on mine. I swing with my 2 guys again. He makes a token and double blocks the fallen. I can trample/regenerate for 1 poison and 3 damage or I can just regenerate and kill his board anyway. I do that and play tangle angler post combat.

On his turn he finally plays a plains and casts Venser, the Sojourner. He uses the first ability to blink a tapped island giving him enough mana to use the vat. I draw lifestaff on my turn. I attack with Ezuri going after Venser and my poison dudes going at my opponent. He makes a token and I don't force it to block the angler because I'm bad at Magic. Instead I overrun to kill Venser and give my opponent 4 more poison (up to 7). I do nothing else to keep regen mana up I guess. My opponent scoops.

Round 2 - Game 2

 He goes first again and my hand is F F F F tangle-angler trigon-of-infestation bellowing-tanglewurm. Slow, but a keeper. He does nothing on turn 1 and I draw another tangle angler. He plays riddlesmith on turn 2 and I draw untamed might and say go. He hits me for 2, casts the green spellbomb (discarding golem artisan) and says go. I draw ezuri's archers (sided in because of the 1/2 milling flyers in my opponent's deck) and play them. He plays a 4th land and attacks! I block and decide to burn my pump spell to save my 1/2. He plays wall of tanglecord post combat. I guess he didn't want to proc riddlesmith...

I draw tel-jilad fallen on my turn and bust it out. Screw you, artifact wall! He fetches a plains at end of turn and plays a darkslick drake. I rip a forest which lets me play bellowing tanglewurm and swing in for 3 unblockable poison. He taps my fallen down forever with bonds of quicksilver. I draw strider harness and bust out tangle angler which it turns out is an anti-combo with bellowing tanglewurm. He plays a lifestaff, equips his drake, and swings for 3. I decide to trade my 1/2 for it. He then plays a screeching silcaw and equips it. I draw another stupid trigon of infestation. I decide the best play is to play my strider harness, equip my angler, and put 2 -1/-1 counters on his wall. I also get in for 4 with my wurm. He plays a second silcaw on his turn (thankfully only 2 artifacts so no metalcraft!) and I draw putrefax. I can't finish him with it yet so I decide to hold it for now. Instead I play a second tangle angler, equip it, and swing with no forced blocks. He blocks the 2/6 with his 0/4 wall and takes 4 damage and 1 poison.

On his turn he casts volition reins on my equipped angler and hits me for 3 with his flyers. On my turn I draw a lifestaff. Him having my 2/6 means I can't play putrefax for profit. Instead I move my harness to my angler, play my lifestaff, and equip it to my wurm. I force the wall to chump my angler (I worry about him drawing Venser and restting the counters on the wall, also I want to deny metalcraft) and he chooses to chump my 5/4 with the stolen angler. Post combat I move the lifestaff to my angler.

He plays a blue spellbomb and immediately cycles it. He then hits me for 3 and plays a lumengrid drake. I draw another lifestaff, remember my creatures are all unblockable, and play putrefax for the win.

Round 3 - Game 1

I finally win a die roll and choose to play even though I haven't lost a game yet when I've drawn. My opener is F F F F strider-harness tel-jilad-fallen putrefax which is a keeper. My opponent starts with a memnite. I draw forest and say go. He plays iron myr and hits me for 1. I draw a forest and play the harness. He plays a necrotic ooze on turn 3. I draw another forest and play my fallen. He plays a moriok replica and considers attacking with his ooze but decides not to. I draw another forest. I can play Putrefax now and put some pressure on but decide to keep it a surprise and hope I can find a window to win with it later. Or at least equip it. I wish I could equip my fallen but that's not legal.

He sacs his replica end of turn for 2 cards and plays tumble magnet and dross hopper. Still no attack. I draw yet another forest and don't bother trading my putrefax for 1 magnet token. He plays leaden myr, bleak coven vampires, and swings for just 2 with dross hopper. I take it. I draw a tangle angler and equip it. It gets tapped.  He finally gets around to attacking with his 4/3s and I scoop.

Round 3 - Game 2

I choose to play again. My opener this time is F F F lifestaff Ezuri carrion-call corpse-cur which is awesome. I play lifestaff and he plays memnite. I draw a forest and say go. He again has iron myr on turn 2. I draw fallen and play Ezuri. His followup is only a moriok reaver. I draw ichorclaw myr and play my fallen. He swings with the reaver and I don't trade. He plays golem artisan post combat. I rip a forest on my turn to go up to overrun mana. I swing with just the fallen and decide to go all in. I overrun and hit him for 6 poison. He sacs his memnite to flesh allergy my Ezuri and swings for 4 leaving his reaver back. I draw forest and swing to force the trade. Then I play corpse cur to get the fallen back and play ichorclaw myr. He plays necropede and swings with the artisan. I choose not to block and fall to 7. I draw another forest, equip the cur, and swing. He decides to kill my team by blocking the cur, pumping with the artisan, and putting the counter on the myr. I do get to gain 3 life though, and he is up to 7 poison. I play the fallen.

He has a second flesh allergy and sacs his iron myr to kill my fallen. He then hits me down to 5. He has 4 mana so I'm dead next turn if I don't do anything. On my turn I draw putrefax and kill him. That's something!

Round 3 - Game 3

He's on the play this time and my opener is F F lifestaff untamed-might trigon-of-infestation tangle-angler Ezuri. I keep since I think lifestaff+trigon is actually really good against him. He does nothing on turn 1 and I draw a forest and play the lifestaff. He plays necropede on turn 2 and I draw carrion call and say go. He plays leaden myr and poisons me for 1. I draw forest and play Ezuri. He swings with necropede and I'm really not afraid of losing to poison so I don't trade. He plays golem artisan. I draw a forest and attack with Ezuri. He blocks and then unblocks and takes 2. Worth a shot, since I think the artisan is going to own me. I play tangle angler and say go. He attacks with the artisan. Now I can chump with the angler and force him to spend 4 mana and put a -1/-1 counter on the artisan. I probably should have, but I didn't. He follows up with bleak coven vampires and suddenly I'm at only 13. I draw a forest and say go. He flies the artisan and hits me down to 10. Then he plays glimmerpoint stag and flickers the vampire. Now I'm at 6 and he can kill me next turn if he has another land. I carrion call at end of turn. I do have the pump spell so if I can poison him a little I might get to steal the game. I draw bellowing tanglewurm which will help that plan. I cast it, equip a token, and swing for 3 poison. He doesn't trade necropede for either of them. Instead he just plays a land and kills me.

No comments: