Monday, November 22, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 72

Board 72 – Dealer West – No Vul

My hand: ♠ K Q J ♥ Q J ♦ J 8 7 ♣ J T 9 7 2

Worst 11 count ever? Partner opens 1 diamond in second seat as both opponents pass. I bid 1NT and West gets in there with 2 hearts. East raises to 3 hearts. If I double here is it penalty? It feels like it should be and I'm not sure that's such a good idea. They're taking at most what, 5 hearts, 1 spade, and maybe 1 trick in the minors since partner has to have 12 points somewhere. So are they getting 2 ruffs? I doubt it. Yeah, lets double. It gets passed out. Partner leads the A of clubs.


NORTH
♣ A



EAST
♠ A 8 6
♥ T 8 2
♦ A 9 6 5 2
♣ 5 3

SOUTH
♠ K Q J
♥ Q J
♦ J 8 7
♣ J T 9 7 2


West North East South
Pass 1♦ Pass 1NT
2♥ Pass 3♥ Double1
Pass Pass Pass
1Penalty

A-3-2-4. Partner shifts to a trump. 3-2-J-A. Declarer attacks diamonds. 4-T-A-7. And now spades. 6-J-5-3. I think I should continue drawing trump. Q-K-7-8. Back to spades. 2-7-8-Q. Now what?

If spades are 5-3-3-2 and hearts are 5-3-3-2 then I can give partner a spade ruff. Alternatively if spades are 4-3-3-3 then declarer is setting up to pitch his club on board and I should return a club before partner's trick goes away. That feels better to me. J-Q-K-5. Partner forces declarer to win his A of spades, so it turns out spades were 4-3-3-3. T-A-K-4.

Declarer now plays a diamond from board. 2-8-4 of hearts-3. Declarer cashes the 13th spade. 9-8 of clubs-5 of diamonds-7 of clubs. Declarer has all trump left. Making 3, doubled.


NORTH
♠ T 7 3
♥ 7 3
♦ K Q T 3
♣ A K 8 6

WEST
♠ 9 5 4 2
♥ A K 9 6 5 4
♦ 4
♣ Q 4

EAST
♠ A 8 6
♥ T 8 2
♦ A 9 6 5 2
♣ 5 3

SOUTH
♠ K Q J
♥ Q J
♦ J 8 7
♣ J T 9 7 2


Professor Jack disagrees with my 1NT bid and wants me to bid 2 clubs because I have 11 points. Technically true, but man those are a bad 11. He also dislikes the penalty double which I guess was a tad aggressive. Finally he disagrees with my Q of hearts return during the play and would have returned a club.


On the replay my hand bids 2 clubs which allows partner to compete to 4 clubs over 3 hearts. This causes them to go to 4 hearts which is down 1.

Nick: -530
Jack: 50
IMPs: -11 (+20 total)

No comments: