Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 74

Board 74 – Dealer East – All Vul

My hand: ♠ K Q J 9 6 5 ♥ 8 7 6 3 ♦ K ♣ 8 3

East passes in first chair. Jack had a very similar hand recently and opened it 3 spades despite only having KQJxxx. Maybe if my offsuit K wasn't stiff I'd go for that. More likely I'd still just open 1 spade. I guess I'll just have to deceive partner a little and open 2 spades. West doubles and partner jumps to 4S spades which gets passed out.

West leads the A of hearts.

NORTH
♠ A T 4 3 2
♥ J 9 4
♦ J 4 3
♣ K Q
WEST
♥ A



SOUTH
♠ K Q J 9 6 5
♥ 8 7 6 3
♦ K
♣ 8 3


West North East South
Pass 2♠1
Double 4♠2 All Pass
1Weak two
2Possibly preemptive

Well, I have 3 heart losers, a club loser, and a diamond loser and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it. And since it turns out West has all 5 high cards he just starts by cashing them all. Down 2.


NORTH
♠ A T 4 3 2
♥ J 9 4
♦ J 4 3
♣ K Q

WEST
♠ 8
♥ A K Q
♦ A Q T 9 5
♣ A J 6 2

EAST
♠ 7
♥ T 5 2
♦ 8 7 6 2
♣ T 9 7 5 4

SOUTH
♠ K Q J 9 6 5
♥ 8 7 6 3
♦ K
♣ 8 3


Professor Jack disagrees with my bid. Somehow my hand isn't suitable for a weak two and he wants me to pass.


My seat passes on the replay and West opens 1 diamond. North bids 1 spade, South cuebids 3 diamonds, and they settle in 3 spades. Which is pretty obviously down 1.

Nick: -200
Jack: -100
IMPs: -3 (+17 total)

No comments: