Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 31

Board 31 – Dealer South – NS Vul

My hand: Q 5 3 A Q T 6 Q T 5 3 6 3

I pass. West bids 1 NT which gets passed around to me. I don't have a Cappelletti bid here so I pass. I guess maybe I could double but I don't see a good place to land. Our best chance at a plus is probably to set them here. Partner leads the 3 of hearts.


NORTH
3





EAST
6 2
K 7
J 9 8 7
Q J T 8 4

SOUTH
Q 5 3
A Q T 6
Q T 5 3
6 3


West North East South



Pass
1NTPass Pass Pass

Guess we should start by taking as many hearts as we can. 3-K-A-5. Q-9-2-7. T-2 of diamonds-8-2 of spades. 6-6 of diamonds-4-6 of spades. Or maybe not? Why would partner possibly duck his J of hearts here? He must have an entry and want me on lead. Dummy looks to have both clubs and diamonds locked up solid so it must be spades. Should I lead the Q? Probably. Q-7-9-7 of diamonds. 5-A-4-8 of diamonds.

Declarer now taunts us by leading the 7 of clubs which floats around. Then the K. Then the A. Then the 9, as partner pitches the J of hearts. Declarer also has the A of diamonds and gets his J of spades at the end when partner pitches his K for no reason. Making 2.


NORTH
K T 9 4
J 8 4 3 2
K 4
5 2


WEST
A J 8 7
9 5
A 6 2
A K 9 7


EAST
6 2
K 7
J 9 8 7
Q J T 8 4


SOUTH
Q 5 3
A Q T 6
Q T 5 3
6 3


Declarer has 7 top tricks and no right to get an 8th. Partner blew us out two different ways to make that happen, so I expect to lose an IMP here.


Professor Jack disagrees with my Q of spade shift. If I lead a spade I should lead the 3, apparently. He'd rather I lead the 3 of diamonds. I don't think that makes sense given that partner did everything in his power to keep me on lead. Why diamonds as opposed to spades? I guess I 'know' he can't have 4 spades since he didn't make a Cappelletti bid, but then it turns out he did have them.


The replay has an identical auction. They take their 7 tricks and go home. North ducks his heart trick here too, but South returns a diamond which forces declarer to cash out.

Nick: -120
Jack: -90
IMPs: -1 (-6 total)

2 comments:

Sky said...

These plays by your partner make any kind of real comparison very hard. When you team is deliberately pitching away multiple tricks for no reason it makes any results really damn random.

Ziggyny said...

I don't know why they ducked the heart entry but they did at both tables. Presumably at my table he thought the spade Q showed the J which is why he pitched his K.