Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 14

Board 14 – Dealer East – No Vul

My hand: K 4 Q 9 7 5 K Q J 5 7 5 2

Three passes to partner. He opens 1 diamond. East overcalls 2 clubs. I bid 3 clubs since I now know that's a cuebid with support. Everyone passes. I, uh, guess that wasn't a cuebid with support anymore? West leads the K of clubs as East snickers at me. This is like when Andrew passed my splinter and I got to play in a 4-1 heart fit...


North
A Q T 7
T
A T 6 3 2
Q J 8

WEST
K



SOUTH
K 4
Q 9 7 5
K Q J 5
7 5 2


West North East South


Pass Pass
Pass 1 2 3
Pass Pass Pass

Well, lets salvage what we can. I have 1 club, 3 spades and 5 diamonds. Except I don't have trump control and I'm pretty sure East has 5 clubs. He gets to ruff two of my diamonds I guess, so I have 7 tricks. Possibly I can ruff a spade? That's a pipe dream. Well, lets get beat around a while and see what happens... K-8-4-2. West shifts to a heart. 2-T-A-7.

East cashes the A of clubs. A-5-2 of spades-J. Guess East has 6 clubs. He plays another round, drawing the last of my trump. He has 3 clubs left. I want to cash all my spade and diamond tricks before they cash all their spades but I don't know East's distribution at all. I cash a spade. 7-6-K-3. And another. 4-5-A-8. If they carded count accurately they should each have a spade left. I decide to trust them. Q-9-5 of diamonds-J. Time to cash diamonds. 2-6 of clubs-K-7. Good.

East returns the 3 of hearts. I insert the 9. 3-9-K-3 of diamonds. I get my Q of hearts and lose the rest. Down 4.


NORTH
A Q T 7
T
A T 6 3 2
Q J 8


WEST
J 5 3 2
K 8 6 2
9 8 7 4
K


EAST
9 8 6
A J 4 3

A T 9 6 4 3


SOUTH
K 4
Q 9 7 5
K Q J 5
7 5 2


Professor Jack has the following comment on my 3 club bid... "3 clubs must be a mistake." Jack would bid 3 diamonds. Supposedly my bid showed 6-10 points, less than 4 diamonds, and 6+ clubs. If I had that I'd have pre-empted at my first bid!

On board 10 the only difference between that club bid which was a cue-bid and this one which wasn't is my initial pass then was over 1C instead of over a pass. This seems backwards to me. If one of those auctions is going to have a natural club bid it should be the one where I couldn't bid clubs naturally the first time around. I guess I really don't understand Jack's cuebidding in competition as I keep losing tons of IMPs when I try it. Or at least, I expect to lose IMPs here...


On the replay my seat bids 3 diamonds and then North bids 3NT which holds. East leads a heart because trying to set up a 6 card suit seems like a bad idea? North scores his stiff T. Declarer plays the hand in a really nonsensical manner, blocking both spades and diamonds. He eventually endplays East into letting him score his Q of hearts. Just in.

Nick: -200
Jack: +400
IMPs: -12 (-3 total)

5 comments:

Sthenno said...

Wow, it seems like Jack is aware you are keeping score and decided to screw you.

Sky said...

I do find it funny that you basically tie Jack every time until he decides to bid like an idiot and force you to lose a ton of IMPs.

His bidding system does not seem bulletproof.

Ziggyny said...

I think part of the cause there is EW at both tables are playing the exact same system with the exact same AI. So any hand where EW has a large degree of control will likely result in the same thing happening.

I've had two big losses due to miscomunication which I'd be ok with if I was able to learn from them. My big issue is I feel I did the same thing and he interpreted it in two different ways each time, and both times he picked the wrong way and boned us. I wonder if I can remove cuebids from our system entirely?

Bung said...

I'm not sure what 3C means. I assume it means a strong hand (which you have) with support (ish) but I don't think you have the diamond support to really do that. He could still have 3?

My preference here is to bid 2H. It shows 4H, and you have to have tolerance for his diamonds and almost certainly can't have spades (since you didn't negative double). You've reversed here, so your partner should feel "safe" enough to bid 2NT and probably end up in 3D?

In any case, I think he should pass off 3C.

Sthenno said...

I guess I don't really understand what the reasoning is on Jack's part for passing out 3C. The fact that he can't actually reason helps to explain it a little. If you open, your opponents interject a suit, you can't possibly think that your partner rebidding that suit is to play. I'm trying to get my head around what the opponent's hand and partner's hand would have to look like to make that right. I just don't see how he can get away with not responding to 3C here.