Monday, September 13, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 25

Board 25 – Dealer North – EW Vul

My hand: A J 9 8 7 2 8 K J T 9 8 7

Partner passes and East open 1 diamond. I hope 2NT is unusual showing 5-5 or better in hearts and clubs. West then jumps to 5 diamonds. Partner doubles, presumably for penalty. I don't know that I trust his penalty doubles but I don't really feel like heading to 5 hearts or 6 clubs. I lead the J of clubs.

West
9 8 3 2
A 6 4 3
A Q 4 2
3



SOUTH
A
J 9 8 7 2
8
K J T 9 8 7


West North East South

Pass 1 2NT1
5 Double2 All Pass
15-5 Hearts and Clubs
2Penalty

J-3-6-A. Declarer starts drawing trump. J-8-2-K. Partner decides to draw trump too. T-5-7 of clubs-Q.

Dummy leads a heart off board. 3-5 of spades-K-2. I wonder why partner didn't ruff. I guess both opponents have 4 hearts so I get a heart trick eventually if he never ruffs. Another heart. 5-7-A-3 of diamonds. Ruffing the ace is good; it doesn't cost me my heart.

Partner draws more trump. 6-9-8 of clubs-A. Declarer goes back to hearts. 4-4 of clubs-Q-8.

Then he exits a club. 2-9-4 of diamonds-5. Dummy plays a spade. 2-4-Q-A.

I cash my J of hearts. J-6-T of spades-T. Then I cash the 13th heart. 9-3 of spades-Q of clubs-7 of spades. Is declarer out of trump? What is he doing? Whatever it is, I cash the high club. K-8 of spades-7 of diamonds-6 of spades. Partner then cashes his high spade. Down 5, doubled.


NORTH
K T 5 4

K T 7 6 3
Q 6 5 4


WEST
9 8 3 2
A 6 4 3
A Q 4 2
3


EAST
Q J 7 6
K Q T 5
J 9 5
A 2


SOUTH
A
J 9 8 7 2
8
K J T 9 8 7


Professor Jack disagrees with my lead. He says the J of clubs is the systematic lead but would lead the A of spades instead. I eventually used the A of spades as an entry to cash multiple hearts so I like how it worked out. It may be wrong in general though.

He also disagrees with my club pitch and would pitch a heart instead. I did cash that heart, but I guess I could have cashed clubs too. Whatever, I stand by those choices.


The auction is sadly the same on the replay. I was hoping for a big hand. The play is different since my hand leads the A of spades. He then shifts to the 2 of hearts which forces his partner to ruff. North cashes the K of spades, my hand pitching a club. My hand then ruffs a spade. Then they ruff a heart. They try to ruff another spade but South is out of trump. They take the K of diamonds as well but nothing else. Down 4, doubled. I'm surprised at how much one extra undertrick is worth, so I guess this was a decently big hand anyway.

Nick: 1400
Jack: 1100
IMPs: +7 (-19 total)

2 comments:

Sky said...

It looks like you can make 5 clubs, and you might well have been doubled. That would be a pretty fantastic result too. You can even make 6 clubs on the right lead, though I don't know how likely that is.

Ziggyny said...

We're not vulnerable so 5C doubled is only worth 550. 6C is only 620. 6C doubled even is only 790. I think they'd rather we made 6C doubled...

1400 is a really amazing score. I don't know why he jumped all the way to 5 with a Roman 10 count, especially since they're not playing short club.