Saturday, September 04, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 16

Board 16 – Dealer West – EW Vul

My hand: 4 9 A Q T 4 A K T 6 5 4 2

West open 2 spades, weak. Partner jumps to 4 diamonds, alerted. I think I turned Leaping Michaels on, so I bet that's what this is. Shows 5-5 or better in hearts and diamonds. East passes and now my hand is awesome. I think Blackwood stands out here to find out how many of my stiffs he can cover. I bid 4NT and partner bids 5C to show 1. I bid 6 diamonds. East leads the K of spades.



North
T 7 2
A K Q 4 3
J 8 7 6 2




EAST
K

SOUTH
4
9
A Q T 4
A K T 6 5 4 2


West North East South
21 42 Pass 4 NT3
Pass 54 Pass 6
Pass Pass Pass
1Weak Two
2Leaping Michales
31430 Blackwood for NT
41 or 4 Aces

I have 3 hearts, 2 clubs, 0 spades and 4 or 5 diamonds. I can ruff two spades on board. I can set up a heart if they split 4-3. I can set up a whole ton of clubs. I have tricks out the wazoo. Loserwise I will lose this spade and maybe the K of diamonds. Nothing else to it. K-4-9-T. East plays the Q of spades and now I need to consider how to play diamonds. I can try to drop stiff K in the preempter's hand. Or I can finesse. If I finesse, how do I not lose to K9xx in East? I'd need to lead 3 times from hand without playing the J and i don't think I have the entries to do that so I have to lose to that too. I ruff with the 4 of diamonds. Q-4 of diamonds-3-7.

I ruff a club to board. 2-Q-2 of diamonds-7. I lead the J of diamonds and East plays the 9. I play the T and West wins the K. Oh well. West cashes the A of spades and I ruff in with the A of diamonds. I draw another round of trump and West shows out. Turns out he did have stiff K, so I'm in a lot of trouble. Q-6 of spades-6-3.

I cash two clubs pitching my two small hearts. East follows to both, so I'm not in trouble after all. I ruff another club to board, draw his trump and cash my high hearts. Down 1.


NORTH
T 7 2
A K Q 4 3
J 8 7 6 2



WEST
A J 9 8 6 3
6 5 2
K
Q 9 3


EAST
K Q 5
J T 8 7
9 5 3
J 8 7


SOUTH
4
9
A Q T 4
A K T 6 5 4 2


Professor Jack has no complaints.


On the replay the auction goes a lot differently. They aren't playing Leaping Michaels at the other table so North passes over the 2 spade bid. South bids 3 clubs, North bids 3 hearts, South bids 4 clubs and North passes. Seems sketchy...

On the play West cashes the A of spades then plays his stiff K of diamonds to South. South draws 3 rounds of trump, losing the 3rd and is very happy they split 3-3. West returns a spade which gets ruffed. Declarer has the rest thanks to that K of diamonds play earlier. Making 5.

I went back and any other card but the K of diamonds results in making 4. I guess if he catches his partner with the A they can set the contract with a ruff which was probably his plan.

Nick: -50
Jack: 150
IMPs: -4 (-8 total)

6 comments:

Bung said...

Why is it blackwood in NT as opposed to Diamonds?

Ziggyny said...

He showed two specific suits and I haven't shown a preference between the two of them. From his point of view I could just as easily be jonesing for a heart slam.

Bung said...

I guess I don't understand the value of Leaping Michaels. What would 2S-3S, show?

Is this bid game forcing, invitational, mini-maxi?

What is the structure over this? It seems like you should have some way of agreeing on a suit immediately (and bidding blackwood), maybe something like 4S as BW in D, 4NT as BW in H?

Ziggyny said...

The value is you get to immediately pinpoint both suits. Normal 2S-3S Michaels shows hearts and a minor. 2S-4C shows clubs and hearts. 2S-4D shows diamonds and hearts. You use up marginally more room (mostly just bypassing 3NT) but get both suits known immediately. I don't think there's any way it can be a mini since there's not much point in preempting a preempt.

I do like the idea of having 2 blackwood bids over it but I doubt there's any way to make the computer play it. I do wonder what it would take 2S-4D-P-4S to mean...

Ziggyny said...

I rebuilt the deal and tried it again. He thinks it shows control in spades for diamonds. 5S is natural.

Ziggyny said...

As a follow-up to a conversation we had on WoW, Leaping Michaels is a strong bid. We're talking like 16+ high card points and 5-5 or better. But given that the opponent preempted that doesn't seem too unlikely and what are you using the 4C and 4D bids for anyway, right?

All treatments I saw use the 2S-3S bid to show a running minor suit without a spade stopper. The idea being partner should bid 3NT if he has a spade stopper. No one talks about what to do when partner doesn't have a spade stopper but I imagine you'll likely just play 4 of the long minor. (4C pass/correct, other bids as natural and forcing I would assume with an eye towards a minor game or a slam)