Friday, September 03, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 15

Board 15 – Dealer South – NS Vul

My hand: K Q 2 7 4 8 7 5 4 3 K 5 3

I pass. West bids 1 diamond. Partner passes. East bids 1 heart. I pass. West bids 2 spades. East bids 3 clubs, 4th suit forcing. West bids 3 diamonds which is alerted to indicate he doesn't have 3 hearts or 5 spades. East bids 3 hearts. West bids 4 hearts which buys the contract. I lead the 7 of hearts.


West
A J T 8
Q 2
A K Q J 9
Q 9



SOUTH
K Q 2
7 4
8 7 5 4 3
K 5 3


West North East South



Pass
1 Pass 1 Pass
2 Pass 31Pass
32 Pass 3Pass
4 Pass PassPass
14th Suit Forcing
2Exactly 4 spades, less than 3 hearts

The first trick is won on board. 7-Q-9-3. Declarer draws another round of trump. 2-8-K-4. He plays a third. J-3 of diamonds-8 of spades-T. And then a 4th. 5-4 of diamonds-9 of clubs-6 of clubs.

He shifts to the 3 of spades. 3-K-A-4.

He cashes his diamonds and eventually loses 1 trick before all he has is trump left. Making 6.


NORTH
9 6 4
T 9 8
2
A T 7 6 4 2


WEST
A J T 8
Q 2
A K Q J 9
Q 9


EAST
7 5 3
A K J 6 5 3
T 6
J 8


SOUTH
K Q 2
7 4
8 7 5 4 3
K 5 3


Professor Jack complains about my lead. He wants me to lead the 3 of clubs instead. I'm wondering if Professor Jack is looking at all the hands when he says this as I don't think leading low from Kxx makes a whole ton of sense. I could see arguing for a passive diamond or for the K of spades, but a low club? I'd have never led that and I'd welcome any comments justifying it other than that it would have worked on this deal. Frankly with that club suit I would have bid 3 clubs on my first turn in partner's seat...


On the replay the auction is the same. South leads a low club. They cash two clubs and declarer takes the rest. Making 5.

Just for kicks I replayed it again and had partner preempt at his first bid. West ends up playing 3 diamonds. Would have been a 7 IMP gain instead of a 1 IMP loss...

Nick: -480
Jack: -450
IMPs: -1 (-4 total)

1 comment:

Bung said...

Leading a club because that's the unbid suit (by opps) isn't a terrible idea. Also, they didn't chose to go to 3NT... so its quite possible they don't have a stopper.

I don't think I'd bid 3C on that suit...at unfavorable vulnerability that is.