Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 24

Board 24 – Dealer West – No Vul

My hand: A Q J 5 4 3 A K 4 K T 6 3

West passes and partner opens 4 hearts. East passes. I assume this is massively preemptive with an 8 card heart suit. I really want to bid on but I don't think we're making slam unless partner has something like x-KQJxxxxx-xxxx-A. Which doesn't look much like a preempt to me and isn't even cold for slam. Everyone passes and East leads the A of clubs.


North
8
Q J T 6 5 3 2
A Q J 2
J



EAST
A

SOUTH
A Q J 5 4 3
A
K 4
K T 6 3


West North East South
Pass 4 All Pass


Ooooook. He only has 7 hearts and he has an 11 count. And he has a side 4 card suit. I'd open that one heart, not four.

At any rate, I have 6 heart tricks. 4 diamonds. 1 spade. 1 club after the lead. Unfortunately I will lose the A of clubs and the K of hearts (unless there's a 4-1 split with a stiff K!)

Shouldn't be much to the play. A-6-9-J. Switch to a diamond. 6-K-7-2.

I draw a round of trump. A-7-2-4. I guess my only worry now is I'm going to get ruffed before I can get to board twice to draw 2 more rounds of trump. Clubs is probably my safest route over, so I play the 3. 3-Q-3 of hearts-8. I play out a heart. Q-9-3 of spades-K. West returns a diamond and East doesn't ruff. Making 5.



NORTH
8
Q J T 6 5 3 2
A Q J 2
J


WEST
6
K 8 7
9 8 7
Q 9 7 5 4 2


EAST
K T 9 7 2
9 4
T 6 5 3
A 8


SOUTH
A Q J 5 4 3
A
K 4
K T 6 3




Professor Jack agrees with me all the way!


On the replay the auction goes a lot differently. North opens 1 heart instead of 4. Ultimately North ends up pulling 3NT to 4H and South doesn't go crazy and try for slam. Oh well. The auction, for the curious, was
P-1H-1S-2C
P-2H-P--3N
P-4H-P--P
P

On the play East starts by leading the T of spades. Things look different but it doesn't much matter. Defense takes A of clubs and K of hearts and goes home. Making 5.

Nick: 450
Jack: 450
IMPs: 0 (-26 total)

No comments: