Sunday, January 12, 2014

Bridge Match 2 - Board 37

Board 37 - Dealer North - NS Vul

Opponents convention card: Majeure cinquième
Opponents playing strength: Fair

My hand: ♠ 6 ♥ A J 8 7 5 ♦ A 6 3 ♣ T 9 4 2

Partner opens 1 spade and East passes. I bid 1NT. Partner retreats to 2 spades. With him having a minimum and us having a misfit I don't see any reason to keep bidding. Everyone passes.

East leads the Q of diamonds.
NORTH
♠ A J T 4 3 2
♥ T 3 2
♦ K 9 8
♣ Q J 6
EAST
♦ Q
SOUTH
♠ 6
♥ A J 8 7 5
♦ A 6 3
♣ T 9 4 2
WestNorthEastSouth
1♠Pass1NT
Pass2♠PassPass
Pass

I have a diamond loser, 2 club losers, and 2 or 3 spade losers. The extra spade loser goes away on a 3-3 split. I may be able to pitch a diamond on the long club, but only if I draw trump first. I guess I should do that. Entries are potentially an issue too. I think I want to lead a trump from dummy first, so I win this trick there. Q-A-7-9. I play a spade. 6-5-T-Q. East returns another diamond. J-3-4-K. So much for pitching on a club since they've got a diamond set up now. Oh well, nothing I can do about that. Draw more trump and hope they split 3-3 I guess. A-7-5 of hearts-8. J-9-6 of diamonds-K.

They cash a diamond then lead a high heart. I win on board and lead clubs eventually getting my Q. Making 2.
NORTH
♠ A J T 4 3 2
♥ T 3 2
♦ K 9 8
♣ Q J 6
WEST
♠ K 8 5
♥ K Q 6 3 2
♦ T 7 5 4
♣ K
EAST
♠ Q 9 7
♥ 9 4
♦ Q J 2
♣ A 8 7 5 3
SOUTH
♠ 6
♥ A J 8 7 5
♦ A 6 3
♣ T 9 4 2
This ends up being a mediocre result worth 6MPs. 4 other pairs played 2 spades and they all made overtricks. Did all the other tables cash clubs first or something? Or somehow get the stiff K to drop? We beat the two tables that passed out the board and the EW pair that went down 1 doubled in 2 hearts.


Captain Jack agrees with me all the way!

Ranking after board 37/60: 1/16 with 57.72%

No comments: