Thursday, December 02, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 81

Board 81 – Dealer North – No Vul

My hand: 9 Q 8 4 2 K 4 A K J 7 3 2

East opens 1 spade in 2nd seat. I bid 2 clubs. Partner raises to 3 and I pass. West decides to stick his neck out with 3 hearts and East raises to 4. Partner leads the 5 of clubs.


NORTH
5


EAST
A K J 7 5
A 6 3
A Q 7
9 4

SOUTH
9
Q 8 4 2
K 4
A K J 7 3 2


West North East South
Pass 1 2
Pass 3 PassPass
3 Pass 4All Pass

5-4-K-6. Do I want to set up a spade ruff? I think we get a second club trick, so along with my K of diamonds and a ruff we set them. I might get a natural heart trick from Qxxx anyway, but I think he can finesse me out of it if he wants. So yes, a ruff seems wise. I shift to a spade. 9-2-6-J.

Declarer draws trump. 3-2-K-2 of diamonds. Guess I get my Q after all. Back to spades? 8-T-K-4 of hearts. If they were doubled I might try underleading in clubs to get another spade ruff for another undertrick but it's not worth the risk here I don't think. I just cash a club. A-8-T-9. Huh, now I have to give away a trick by leading into a ruff and sluff or underleading my heart or diamond. Ruff and sluff it is. 2-8 of diamonds-Q-6 of hearts. Declarer draws a round of trump. A-8-5-9 of diamonds.

And now a low spade. 5-3 of clubs-7 of hearts-3. A diamond to the A and the A of spades which I ruff. Declarer has all trump left. Down 1.


NORTH
Q T 6 4 3

T 9 6 5 2
Q T 5

WEST
8 2
K J T 9 7 5
J 8 3
8 6

EAST
A K J 7 5
A 6 3
A Q 7
9 4

SOUTH
9
Q 8 4 2
K 4
A K J 7 3 2


Professor Jack disagrees with my final pass. He wants me to double 4 hearts. Doubling on the hopes of down 1 seems a little brave. There's no reason clubs aren't 3-1 or even 2-1 or 3-0 and we only really have good odds of setting them if they're 2-2 and he doesn't try to pick up my Qxxx which he can do if I double.

Jack disagrees with my spade switch. He wants me to just cash the A of clubs.

Finally when I do get in again he wants me to underlead my A of clubs.


On the replay the auction is the same up until 4 hearts. My seat doesn't pass or double. He pulls to 5 clubs which East doubles. West starts by leading a spade which East wins. East switches to trump so declarer can only ruff 2 hearts on board. As such declarer loses 2 hearts, a spade, and a diamond for down 2 doubled.

Nick: 50
Jack: -300
IMPs: +8 (+32 total)

No comments: