Monday, October 04, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 43

Board 43 – Dealer South – No Vul

My hand: A J 6 4 2 A K T 8 K T 3 6

I open 1 spade. Partner responds 2 clubs. I bid 2 hearts which gets alerted and scares me. Partner raises to 4. What does he think I have? Are we going down in game or making slam? I do what Andrew would do and pass in confusion. (Turns out it showed 10+ points (I did open!), 5+ spades and 4+ hearts. It was alerted because it was forcing?)

West leads the Q of clubs.


NORTH
8
6 5 4 3
A Q 5 2
A K 8 3



WEST
Q



SOUTH
A J 6 4 2
A K T 8
K T 3
6


West North East South
1
Pass2 21 Pass
4All Pass
1Forcing

I have 2 hearts, 1 spade, 3 diamonds, and 2 clubs. As long as hearts split 3-2 I have a 3rd heart trick. I can ruff in either hand for my 10th trick as well. I can also get a trick from 3-3 diamonds or by finessing Jxxx in East. Or I can just ruff a couple spades on board right away. Or clubs in hand right away.

I think ruffing a couple spades makes the most sense, so that's where I'll start.

Q-A-4-6. I cash a spade. 8-5-A-9. If the carding is to be believed then West has 4 spades and East has 3. I play another. 2-3-3 of hearts-T.

I return to my hand with a diamond. 3-9-K-8. Another spade. 4-7-4 of hearts-Q.

I return to my hand with a heart. 5-9-A-7. I ruff out the K of spades fully aware I'm going to get overruffed. 6-K-6 of hearts-4 of diamonds. Huh. Oh well! I cash the K of clubs. K-5-3 of diamonds-2. I play a low club back. 3-7-8 of hearts-9.

Now to draw a round of trump. K-2-5 of diamonds-J. I will lose a trick to the Q of hearts and nothing else. Making 6.


NORTH
8
6 5 4 3
A Q 5 2
A K 8 3


WEST
K 9 7 3
7 2
8 6
Q J T 9 2


EAST
Q T 5
Q J 9
J 9 7 4
7 5 4


SOUTH
A J 6 4 2
A K T 8
K T 3
6



Professor Jack disagrees with my play at trick 2. He says that playing a spade costs an overtrick and I need to draw trumps. Considering I made 6 and don't think it's possible to take 7 then I have to disagree with him.


On the replay the bidding is identical. When declarer gets in with the A of clubs he draws a round of trump and then plays on diamonds. After winning the Q of diamonds he then goes to spades. Unfortunately the hand is laid out really nice so he doesn't find a way to throw away a trick. Making 6 as well.

Nick: 480
Jack: 480
IMPs: 0 (-30 total)

1 comment:

Sky said...

Win ace of clubs.
Hook trump.
Cash ace of spades.
Rough a spade.
Diamond hook to the ten.
Rough a spade.
Trump hook.
Play king of diamonds.
Cash high trump.
Diamond to board.
Cash Q of diamonds.
Cash King of clubs.
Rough the last trick.

Making 7, absolutely cold on the layout. Clearly you failed to find your grand slam.