Sunday, October 19, 2014

Bridge Match 3 - Board 19

Board 19 - Dealer South - EW Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Doubleton
Opponents playing strength: Advanced

My hand: 5 3 Q J T 6 2 6 4 2 A K 2

I'm tempted to open my balanced 10 count but I decided to hold off. Partner ends up opening 1 heart in 3rd chair, which is very interesting. East bids an unusual 2NT showing the minors. I am unsure how to proceed here, but I figure double can't hurt too much. West bids 3 clubs, partner bids 3 hearts, and East passes. If partner has a really good hand could we be missing slam? Probably, but I think that's probably on him in that case. I guess I could bid 4 clubs to show a control in clubs for hearts? Would he interpret it that way? I decide not to risk it and bid the safe 4 hearts which gets passed out.

East leads the T of diamonds.
NORTH
A K
K 9 7 5 4 3
A 8 7
7 5
EAST
T
SOUTH
5 3
Q J T 6 2
6 4 2
A K 2
WestNorthEastSouth
Pass
Pass12NT1Double2
33Pass4
PassPassPass
1Ghestem (minors)
2Intending to double at least one of their suits

We have a heart loser and 2 diamond losers. And no way to really deal with any of them. We also have 10 tricks and no real way to lose any of them. Let's see what happens... T-2-Q-A. I draw a round of trump. 3-A-2-8. East cashes a diamond. K-4-9-8. And another. J-6-7 of spades-7. Now he plays a spade. Will West ruff?!?

No. He doesn't ruff. Because he has a spade and because trump split 1-1. Anyway, I claim the rest. Making 4.
NORTH
A K
K 9 7 5 4 3
A 8 7
7 5
WEST
Q T 8 7 6 4 2
8
Q 9
T 6 3
EAST
J 9
A
K J T 5 3
Q J 9 8 4
SOUTH
5 3
Q J T 6 2
6 4 2
A K 2
Seven tables made 4 hearts. One tables went down 1 in 4 hearts. So we get 8 MPs.


Jack disagrees with my double of 2NT since it is for penalty. He wants me to just bid 4 hearts. I can see the advantage to that since it keeps the opponents from pinpointing a diamond sacrifice.

Ranking after board 19/60: 5/16 with 54.51%

1 comment:

Sky said...

How in the hell do you go down in 4H with that hand? Duck two rounds of diamonds and get your ace ruffed? Drinky drinky!