Monday, October 03, 2011

More On Glitch

I spent most of the weekend away from the computer (I played board games with Duncan and Sara all night Friday which resulted in sleeping in late Saturday and then played D&D all day Sunday) and therefore didn't really get a chance to log in to Glitch. A lot of the time I was at the computer was spent futzing with City of Villains or playing League of Legends. I did know about this so I was actually researching skills in Glitch the whole time, tending to pick the longest available option to make sure I would waste as little time as possible. This had a couple of interesting side effects.

It feels like one of the ways you get quests is based on what skills you have researched. So when I finally logged in last night after D&D I was inundated with new quests. Capture pigs, teleport around, a couple different meditation quests, lots of other animal related quests since I powered all the way from Animal Kinship II to Animal Kinship V between sessions. I wandered around a bunch doing as many of those quests as I could before the football game ended and it was time to go to bed.

We were talking at D&D before heading out for supper about the game. It turns out Sky's wife, young daughter, and Sthenno have all started down the capture pig tech tree. There's a lot of different things you can gather but it would seem we were all drawn to the ones that deal with bacon. That I headed down this tree should come as no surprise to anyone who was my Farmville neighbour as I played that game pretty much exclusively to send pigs to my friends. The question now is what other skill tree should I start learning? Sthenno is doing cooking to go with his animals which makes sense. You can turn your pig meat into actual meals! The game is set up with a big tax on learning new skills if you've learned too many of them so fully doubling up seems wrong. I'm leaning towards becoming a tinker to make new and crazy things even though that doesn't feel like it should combo well with pigs at all. I can just be the crazy pig whisperer who makes random junk!

The game is also 'non-violent' but one of the skill is an attack. I've actually recently finished learning that skill (it chained off of the meditation skills and took a long time so it made sense to do it overnight. But it now has me wondering what an attack skill could possibly be used for. Does it let me grief other players? Do I get to slaughter pigs and butterflies? Robb suggested that maybe the game is just a big social experiment to see how long it would take for people to learn the attack skill in a non-violent game. I'm hoping there will be a quest associated with it that will explain why I'm now able to attack people with my imagination. (The real world is _very_ happy that I don't actually have that ability...)

5 comments:

Sthenno said...

I realizing how fast I'm running into the number of skills known wall. I'm dedicated to finishing off Animal Kinship, but after that I need to pick up a few more ranks of learning before I do anything else.

Remote Herdkeeping just after noon today, which means AK7 will be late Thursday evening.

Ziggyny said...

Hmm... I'm actually working on my 24th now... Maybe I should abort and not finish anything until I can get an emblem of Lem?

Sthenno said...

I don't think so. I've been thinking about learning skills and whether or not to stop to get them. First of all, it doesn't hurt to just put time into a skill, you can switch mid stream, so if you don't have an emblem yet, you might as well put time into something.

Second, while learning skills can pay off quite quickly, they generally aren't going to pay off for any individual skill you are learning. In my case, I could have picked up BL2 to reduce the time of AK7, but while BL2 first is clearly faster in the long run, AK7 gets me AK7 faster. The different might be around 2 hours either way - if I do BL2 first then I finish the entire skill tree 2 hours faster, if I do AK7 first then I finish the whole tree 2 hours slower but have AK7 for 2 more hours.

In the end I don't think it's a big difference, but when you look at it through that lens, it makes the choice less obvious. Having AK7 for two hours may be worth delaying every other skill I learn by the same amount (or slightly more).

It's also important to consider sleeping hours. If you learn a skill at 75% rate because you have too many skills, that's better than learning a skill at full rate when that skill takes only 4 hours to learn and you are going to bed.

Anyway, getting an emblem of Lem should be really easy.

Ziggyny said...

I was going to keep researching _something_. What I ended up doing was stopping Bureaucratic Arts III at about 17 minutes left and started in on Engineering which won't finish until long after I get home from work and can get an emblem. I have Teleportation III to do when I go to sleep as well since it's going to run me almost 12 hours.

I agree that getting something you want is better than just the base haste from the learning skill. I'm less sure if it's the last skill that puts you into slow learning. I can get TP3 in almost 12 hours and then Better Learning III in something like 15 hours or I can get BL3 in almost 12 hours and then TP3 in 11.5 hours. If I keep delaying TP3 and research more and more skills with the penalty it gets really bad. (Well, depending on the penalty. You said it's 75% but didn't Sky say it was more like 17%?)

I don't have any emblems yet, sadly. That's likely to be my goal tonight.

Sthenno said...

I think the penalty increases as you go above the cap. I have been above the cap for a few skills now and things seem to go up each time I learn something.

Anyway, Basic Learning 1 and 2 seem like no brainers, but 3 through 5 actually start taking a long time to learn. There's also the very real question of how much you can sacrifice at shrines to speed up the learning process. I think given the choice of learning everything 20% faster or getting AK6, I actually learn faster by taking the latter since I gain access to scads more stuff to sacrifice.