Sunday, October 09, 2011

Glitch: Game of Crowns

There's a mini-game in Glitch that you can buy tickets to play in a few different spots. The mini-game is a pretty simple 'king of the hill' style game where someone starts with a crown and if another player runs into them they steal the crown. First to keep the crown for a cumulative 60 seconds wins the game. It's cute and short but not terribly interesting.

The name was a little interesting though. It sounds very similar to Game of Thrones, the fantasy book series by George R R Martin. I thought that was a nice coincidence... Until earlier today when I went through the list of achievements in Glitch (if I want to get to the top of that leaderboard I need to know what I should be doing) and found the achievements related to holding the crown in the game of crowns...

The Imp - 101 seconds
Ranger of the Night's Watch - 1001 seconds
Knight of the Kingsguard - 5003 seconds
Kingslayer - 12007 seconds
Hand of the King - 25013 seconds
Monarch of the Seven Kingdoms - 100003 seconds

Yeah, guess it wasn't much of a coincidence after all, huh? Of course, to get that last achievement would require holding onto the crown for almost 28 hours! You'd have to really like playing keep-away or collecting achievements to get that one!

3 comments:

Hefeystus said...

Monarch of the Seven Kingdoms requires you to start a GoC game and the quit before you win, then not "enter the world" before 100003 seconds is up. I thinks it's a test to see how many players can break the addiction for 27.7 hours. So I only have 24 hours of waiting left.

Hefeystus said...

At least I hope so....

Ziggyny said...

Hmm, very interesting. On the one hand I'd imagine that's an exploit and they'd want to fix that from happening. On the other the numbers they picked are pretty insane. If I was still playing Glitch I'd strongly considering giving this a shot.