Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Galaxy Legion: Base Defense

Yesterday my legion finally finished off the level 5 base upgrade. This ramps up our daily production and increases the number of defensive buildings we can build. To this point our defense has been pretty haphazard so I want to take a look at exactly what the different defensive structures do so I can say one way or another that we've built the 'right' defense.

There are four options for defensive structures and different values for each type. (Essentially we can pay 10x the cost and upkeep in order to double the values.) The four options are shields, hull, defense, and attack. Shields and hull both provide maximum health with slight variations. Defense reduces the amount of damage done per enemy shot. Attack increases the damage the enemies take per shot.

It's impossible to build a base such that the top legions can't disable it. What defending it does is increase how much it will cost them to do so in the hopes that they'll be persuaded to attack elsewhere. All the defensive stats work together to increase the cost to attack in either energy, money, or both.

Having a base get disabled doesn't actually do all that much. It's a little demoralizing to have your base get disabled and it decreases the amount of artifact points produced each day. Basically for every day you go without being disabled you get 10% more stuff, to a maximum of 100% more stuff. We're set up to get about 8k artifact points per person per day after we've been disabled and could get that as high as 16k if we were never disabled. I'd say we'll probably average around 10k if we stay with our current defensive configuration, so we're trying to earn an extra 6k artifact points per person per day. Byung says he values artifact points at about 50k each, so we're trying to earn about 300M per person per day if we can fully defend the base. We'd be paying an extra 225M per module we upgrade to the top tier so it is plausible that going up to the most expensive defenses could make sense...

In order to get an idea on how we should mix the different stats we need to throw some example attackers up against different options to see what the potential results could be. I'll take myself as a first example though I'm pretty weak for a level 446 person. For attacking a base I have 5200 attack, 3000 defense, and 7500 hull. Repairing to full costs me around 180M, and I have a damage cap of 859. The questions that need to be asked are: how many shots does it take me to kill a given base and how many times do I have to repair in order to shoot that many times.

Right now, with our random bad configuration, the base has 3250 attack, 13255 defense, and 55725 health. It has a damage cap of 300. This would take me 2643 shots to kill and I'd have to repair 64 times. Now, I'm not going to be doing this on my own. Split that load 20 ways and all of a sudden those numbers aren't very big at all. A couple of repair nanodrones and 600 energy and we're dead. No wonder our base seems to explode whenever a decent legion so much as looks at it!

Of course, as I was writing this we actually got locked onto by a semi-decent legion. They're the 36th strongest legion by strength score and were starting to make short work of our base. So I quickly threw together a quick spreadsheet and tried to find a way to spend some money to make the base better. (I built some 3rd best modules quickly when we leveled up but I could add a lot of defensive stats to the base by replacing those with some 2nd best modules.) I didn't have time to take shield regen into account, sadly, and just fixed our shields as where they were and tried to find a good mix of attack to defense in order to maximize the amount of times I personally would have to repair. I arrived at a total of 9982 attack and 16690 defense which would force me to shoot 4026 times and have to repair 255 times. That's a pretty big gain from where we were before though it did cost me a lot of money and really raise the base upkeep.

The changes did cause the attack to slow down for a bit and our massive amount of shields did actually regen a fair bit while they stopped attacking but they seem to have regrouped and are making steady progress. I wish I could find out if they'd invited in more legions to help out and kill us.

Mike let me know that base shields regen at a rate of 2% every 2 minutes. I will need to take that into account, use some bigger examples, and crunch some numbers more to see if there's a better set-up and if it could be worth going up to the top tier defensive structures.

No comments: