Friday, December 26, 2014

Bridge Match 3 - Board 41

Board 41 - Dealer North - EW Vul

Opponents convention card: Jack
Opponents playing strength: Advanced

My hand: K 5 3 T 6 2 A Q T 9 5 A T

I open 1NT in 3rd seat. West immediately overcalls 2 spades which shows 5 spades, a 4+ card minor, and less than 4 hearts. I'm pretty sure that minor is clubs and I wonder if bidding 3 diamonds here, while insane, might not be the right call. I can't bring myself to do it.

Partner leads the Q of hearts.
NORTH
Q
EAST
Q T 9
8 5 3
8 6
Q 9 8 7 4
SOUTH
K 5 3
T 6 2
A Q T 9 5
A T
WestNorthEastSouth
PassPass1NT
21PassPassPass
1Multi Landy

Q-3-2-A. Declarer decides to draw trump. A-7-9-3. 2-6-T-K. I'm in. I can try drawing dummy's last trump but I don't know what he's ruffing. If it's a diamond I get in again anyway and can draw it later. I probably just want to pound a heart through for partner. T-4-7-5. I'm still in. One more heart. 6-9-J-8. That's 12 hearts and partner has the Q left. Partner decides to shift to a club. 5-4-A-3. I send one back. T-K-2-7. Declarer draws my last trump and then runs clubs since it turns out both partner and I are out.

I get my high diamond ruffed at the end. We could have held them to 2, but instead they make 3.
NORTH
7 6
K Q J 7
J 7 4 3 2
5 2
WEST
A J 8 4 2
A 9 4
K
K J 6 3
EAST
Q T 9
8 5 3
8 6
Q 9 8 7 4
SOUTH
K 5 3
T 6 2
A Q T 9 5
A T
My side made 3 or 4 diamonds at 4 of the tables. Guess that wasn't such an insane bid after all? They all likely opened 1 diamond though. One poor pair tried for 3NT and went down 3. The remaining 3 tables played in spades. 2 were in 2 spades making 3, one was in 3 spades making 2. So we get 3 MPs on the hand.


Jack disagrees with my pass over 2 spades. He wants me to bid 2NT! I guess I have a spade stopper, but if partner wanted me to take action he should have said something. Unilaterally trying to play 2NT on my 13 count feels crazy. He then disagrees with my signal on the opening lead. Jack wants me to encourage with Txx. This also feels crazy. Especially since I'd rather he played any other suit when he gets in! Finally Jack would have cashed the A of diamonds at the end before returning that last club. I figured partner had to have a reason for choosing clubs over diamonds and was actually shocked when he showed out. Oh well.

Ranking after board 41/60: 8/16 with 51.57%

No comments: