Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Little Inferno

In an attempt to adjust my sleep schedule so I can actually be awake during the day this weekend I decided to stay up even when I was tired. I couldn't concentrate enough on Final Fantasy XIV to do anything useful so I decided to look at my list of games to play on Steam to see if there was anything suitably mindless to try out. Enter Little Inferno, one of the silliest games I've ever discovered.

The idea of the game is you're stuck in a house during a snowstorm and all you have to entertain yourself is a fireplace. The gameplay seems to revolve around putting stuff in the fireplace and then lighting it on fire. Watch things burn, and explode into a shower of cash. Pick up the cash, use it to buy other things. Burn those too. Things explode for more money than they cost, so the idea is to build up your stock of cash so you can buy more expensive things.

It sounds silly, but it was pretty fun. The game seemed to have a pretty good physics engine in terms of stuff moving around in the fireplace. There are items you can buy that modify gravity and such and things seem to float around reasonably. There's also a bit of an achievement system in that you get a list of combo names and need to figure out what to do to set off the combo. Like the Brains Ahoy HIYA! combo which needed me to burn a zombie, a pirate, and a ninja at the same time.

There was also a bit of a storyline with different people sending me letters talking about what's going on in the world while I sit in my little room burning everything I can get my grubby little hands on. Like their letters. Letters burn real good.

Is Little Inferno actually a game? I don't know. It's probably more of a game than Cookie Clicker and I'm still playing that! I do want to find out what happens in the rest of the story and I do like watching random things burn (including pictures of people imported from Facebook which seems very odd). Probably I'll just wait until the next time I want to stay up while tired (which could well be tomorrow) and then burn some more combos!

No comments: