It took a couple tries but we ended up winning. Popping full cooldowns at the start of the fight did serious damage to the boss and even though I died twice we still managed to eke it out. Yay! Inferno Act 2 was hilarious. Regular dudes would melee for 160% of my maximum health. Annoying ranged attackers would hit for 80% of my health and would shoot 4 projectiles at a time! Things are clearly getting serious and I'm going to need to crunch some numbers so I know what gear to focus on acquiring and so I can work out if wizard is worth playing or if I should level an alt up.
Ideally I'd be able to turn to the internet for help with these numbers but with Diablo III that doesn't seem to be the case. It took me forever to find information about weapon damage impacting spells! Part of the problem is Google searches keep returning information about Diablo II, or about beta iterations that aren't valid, or lead to websites known for distributing viruses. I certainly have the ability to work a lot of this stuff out on my own and my plan is to figure out what needs to be researched, get the gear to run the tests, and test it out. Hopefully my desire for that information will outweigh my desire to just play the game!
At any rate, here's what I really want to know:
- When an item adds +damage is the speed of my weapon taken into account?
- Does having a different base speed on the weapon impact how often an attack ticks? I believe the laser beams tick more often but what about hydra attacks, the meteor dot, and blizzard?
- Does adding attack speed change the numbers in any meaningful way?
- I have the ability to amplify damage by 20%, 15%, and 10%. Do these stack? Multiplicatively? Additively? Do they stack with abilities from other classes?
- How useful is arcane power regeneration?
- If I want to focus on defensive stats am I better off with armor, resistance, or health? Does int provide a relevant enough bonus to be worth considering?
- When an item grants life per hit does it proc once per spell or once per monster hit?
- Do dots (like hydra or meteor) proc life steal? Is the amount relevant if so?
- What about health per second?
Part of the problem is the high variance in damage done per attack. The damage range on my current weapon/orb combo is 470-987. How can I possibly tell if 15% and 10% damage are stacking together when a given attack can do more than double the previous one? I'm thinking the solution lies in the +minimum damage stat. Coupled with some low level weapons I should be able to shrink my damage range to a fixed number. I also need to find two weapons with identical DPS stats but drastically different speeds and run some tests on them.
Any other thoughts on things I should test when I get my testing groove on?