Thursday, November 03, 2011

Final Fantasy Legend II: A Plot Hook!

One of the things that sort of bothered me about The Final Fantasy Legend was that I didn't really know who I was or what I was doing. There didn't seem to be any character backstory going on and I didn't know why I was trying to get access to this big locked tower. I suspect some of that stuff was found in the manual which I didn't have. (I recall the Final Fantasy IV manual having a lot of character stuff and a walkthrough of the first few plot points to get you started.)

Final Fantasy Legend II started off with a little introductory cutscene where my father tucked me into bed and then jumped out the window to go adventuring. I grew up and wanted to follow in his footsteps. (I swear this introductory plot hook is used in a lot of games but at least it's something!) It was a little odd since I'm a robot and I can't see why I need to go to bed at all let alone why I was shown as a child but whatever...

He also gave me a piece of magi which seem to be a bunch of quasi-powerful items you can collect over the course of the game. The one he gave me tells me how many other magi are nearby which is pretty useful since I don't plan on looking up an FAQ on where they all are. I believe an NPC told me there are 63 of them in the game which is quite a number of things to go collect. It reminds me a bit of The 7th Saga crossed with Suikoden and I definitely want to go catch them all.

I've done a few fights and it looked like my human was actually leveling up the same way as mutants did in the last game: random stat ups after a fight. I have yet to find an item shop to see if they removed stat potions from the game entirely. If they did then I guess the difference between humans and mutants is that mutants learn spells at random?

No comments: