Thursday, July 07, 2011

Final Fantasy II: Approaching Ultima

I just plowed through the tropical island dungeon in FFII to obtain the black mask. Along with the white mask I earned from liberating Fynn I'm now set to go unlock Ultima, the supposed best spell in the game. Supposedly in the NES version the spell was rather bugged. It was the best spell at level 1 compared to other level 1 spells but didn't scale properly at all and ended up sucking at high levels compared to other high level spells. Since you get it near the end of the game and it's a pain to level, and you probably already leveled something else... It's not great. Supposedly how it was supposed to work was it scaled based on the levels of all your other skills/spells or something. The site I found didn't go into any details, and it didn't specify if it worked better in the PSX version or just in even further versions.

I did a little testing to verify the revelation from earlier and it seems to hold water. The first cast of esuna in a fight was getting me 6 esuna xp, future casts were just getting 1. So in the tropical island dungeon I started every fight with an esuna and a berserk to level those spells. Woo!

At any rate, I'm now 10:41 into the game.

No comments: