Saturday, March 03, 2012

World of Warcraft: Drnickiron!

The 7 day trial offer from Blizzard expired yesterday so I finally signed up for it. Everything seemed strange on my old main, Recolada, so I quickly logged out to start my ironman character. All my character slots on Vek'Nilash are full and I didn't want to worry about deleting one so I went back to my first server, Zul'Jin, to start up. I'd decided to play a shaman so the first question was which race to play. Passive and active damage buffs seem like they'd be important when you're playing without talents or gear and I ultimately decided the 1% haste that goblins get coupled with their free blink-like escape and free rocket strike were too good to pass up. As an added bonus I've never started a goblin before so I'd get to see a new zone and quests. 

Even in an area where I'm supposed to be in mostly white gear I found myself playing paranoid. I had a quest to kill a named monster at the end of a town. After killing him most of the town had respawned. Normally this would cause me to just run for the entrance. Probably I wouldn't die, right? And even if I did I'd probably still get to turn in the quest faster by dying and ghosting back than by clearing my way to the start. This time where death means game over I took it slow. I waited for the mobs nearby to finish respawning (so they wouldn't spawn on top of me) and then slowly made my way to the entrance killing everything in sight. As an added bonus I'd get more experience per quest which should result in being overleveled as time goes by. Which is really important later on when I should be in blues and greens but remain in whites.

I've made it up to level 12, which is good for 152nd place on the live shaman list, I think. (I had to count manually!) I worry that searing totem is going to end up aggroing something and getting me killed. Apparently I have to wait until level 30 to get totemic recall!

One cool thing I noticed is that my health bar would fill up with a teal colour when I started a heal on myself. This way I could see how much health I'd expect to have after the heal finished. Assuming that appears for people in my party/raid as well this seems pretty great. It would stop multiple people from healing the same person and would also let me know, as a Death Knight, if I need to worry about healing myself or if the healers have me covered!

No comments: