Tuesday, March 13, 2012

More Virtual Villagers

I got home from work today and was curious to see what my little village of Trekkers had accomplished in a day. It turned out 5 years had passed and both of the babies were running around as children which freed up the female members of my tribe for other tasks. My people had done some research and cleared out the bee hive of honey but had otherwise not accomplished much. They didn't get much work done on the building under construction and barely stayed even food-wise despite strip-mining all known sources of food. I hope it respawns!

Tooling around a little in game I found a second source of food (a tree I'd planted had started bearing fruit) and forced some villagers to 'embrace' until another baby showed up. I tried for another but it turns out 10 people is the max until I finish construction on that building. I also found out that Spock had leveled researching enough to start collecting some junk on the map and once I'd found all the bits he built an alchemy lab. Now I can send my children around gathering random herbs. Then McCoy can combine 3 herbs into a potion which lasts 5 minutes and does crazy things. I didn't jot down the first couple that I did but then I decided that tracking potion results would be a reasonable thing to do.

I put a couple together that really made sense once I thought about it. Three bits of a cactus that looks like aloe? A healing potion! (Which I think just meant I couldn't level up healing skill by fixing up my slightly wounded people.) Three roses? A love potion! (It made any adult that drank it run and 'embrace' someone else.)

I also spent my research points on my first tech upgrade. I decided to take a level of nature which supposedly increases the return on food collecting. My feeling is if my village is going to die it's going to be from starvation so anything I can do to increase my food stash has to be good! (And it was the cheapest tech.)

No comments: