Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bridge Match 1 - Board 128

Board 128 – Dealer West – EW Vul

My hand: A J 7 3 K Q J 6 5 T 9 8 T

Partner opens 1 club and East doubles. I redouble. West bids 1 diamond and partner jumps to 3 clubs. I bid 3 hearts and partner goes to 3NT which gets passed out. East leads the A of diamonds.


NORTH
K T 4
A T
5 2
K Q J 8 3 2



EAST
A

SOUTH
A J 7 3
K Q J 6 5
T 9 8
T


West North East South
Pass 1 Double Redouble1
1 3 Pass 3
Pass 3NT All Pass
110+ Points

Ok, so partner has a bare minimum and no diamond stopper. What was 3 clubs? Why bid 3NT with absolutely no stopper? I defended Jack on the weekend when Sky was saying he thinks Jack is pretty atrocious after 1 spade doubled was for penalty. I don't know if we can keep talking, Jack.

At any rate, I have 5 heart tricks and 2 spade tricks after I lose all the diamonds and maybe the A of clubs. Diamonds split 4-4 and they immediately cash the club A so I'm down 1.


NORTH
K T 4
A T
5 2
K Q J 8 3 2

WEST
Q 8
7 4 3
J 7 4 3
9 7 6 4

EAST
9 6 5 2
9 8 2
A K Q 6
A 5

SOUTH
A J 7 3
K Q J 6 5
T 9 8
T


Professor Jack disagrees with my redouble. He'd rather I just bid hearts myself. Then he wants me to pass 3 clubs. I guess it was preemptive? His comment was "Jack would have bid pass himself but he seriously considered your call and can live with it."


At the other table my hand bids 1 heart which somehow makes West shut up. North still jumps to 3 clubs which really removes any chance that it's preemptive. My seat bids the 3NT. West finds a diamond lead so they take 4 tricks off the top. He then shifts to a spade so they'd make if declarer hadn't pitched his spade away. Instead they take just 3 spades and 5 hearts and concede a club on the end for a push board.

Nick: -50
Jack: -50
IMPs: 0 (-44 total)

No comments: