Friday, September 26, 2014

Bridge Match 3 - Board 15

Board 15 - Dealer South - NS Vul

Opponents convention card: Bridge World Standard 2001
Opponents playing strength: Advanced

My hand: ♠ 9 8 ♥ Q 3 ♦ K Q J 8 ♣ A Q T 9 2

I open 1 club. It gets passed around to East who makes a reopening double. I bid 2 clubs to eat up some space and it gets passed around to East who bids 2 spades. That also gets passed out.

I lead the queen of diamonds.
WEST
♠ 6 4
♥ K 9 8 5 4
♦ 9 4 2
♣ J 5 4
SOUTH
♠ 9 8
♥ Q 3
♦ K Q J 8
♣ A Q T 9 2
WestNorthEastSouth
1♣
PassPassDouble2♣
PassPass2♠1Pass
PassPass
1Strong

Q-2-3-A. Declarer decides to draw trump. K-9-4-5. A-8-6-T. He shifts to a heart. A-3-4-2. Back to trump. 2-T of clubs-4 of diamonds-J. Partner cashes another trump. Q-3-2 of clubs-5 of hearts. Then he fires out a club for me. 8-7-Q-4.

I decide to cash some diamonds. K-9-7-6. J-8 of hearts-5-T. We need one more trick to set them. My A of clubs will be that trick but I don't need to take it now. I can pressure him by making him ruff a diamond first. 8-9 of hearts-6 of hearts-7 of spades.

Now declarer plays a low club. Either he has the K and I can safely play low because he has another club or partner has it and I can play low. So I play low. 3-9-J-7 of hearts. I get just my ace. Down 1.
NORTH
♠ Q J T 5
♥ J T 7 6 2
♦ 7 5 3
♣ 8
WEST
♠ 6 4
♥ K 9 8 5 4
♦ 9 4 2
♣ J 5 4
EAST
♠ A K 7 3 2
♥ A
♦ A T 6
♣ K 7 6 3
SOUTH
♠ 9 8
♥ Q 3
♦ K Q J 8
♣ A Q T 9 2
Everyone played 2 spades. 2 made, 6 went down 1. So we get 9 MPs.


Captain Jack doesn't like my 2 club bid. He wants me to bid 1 diamond instead. I just wanted to eat up extra bidding space since I thought with my hand that the enemy was going to play a major partscore and I wanted to make it less likely they'd find the right one.

Ranking after board 15/60: 4/16 with 57.62%

No comments: