Friday, November 09, 2012

Twilight Imperium III

Twilight Imperium III is a Master of Orion style space exploration/conquest board game that takes a long time to play. I haven't played the game before but from listening to descriptions of the game it's right up my alley. I love civ building games! I have no problems with spending hours on end in a game. There are just a couple of sticking points... Finding enough other people who want to spend that much time on one game, convincing them to play with a new player, and the concern of getting blown out on turn 1 and having to spend 8 hours playing from an essentially unplayable position. I did that in my first game of Manifest Destiny, which is only 4 hours, and it wasn't great. I felt like I was ruining the game for the other people.

Duncan recently found a whole ton of people interested in playing TI3 off of a post in a Facebook boardgaming group. Some were people who also needed to learn and most (if not all) were willing to play with new players. Sweet! Duncan also found an online tutorial for the game which I just read through. I'm rather impressed with it. The tutorial made plenty of strategy errors and cheated in a few spots which calls out how complicated the game seems to be... But I feel like I have a decent grasp of the mechanics now. There were some rules that weren't really explained so I imagine there will still be some 'oops' moments in my first game but I feel like I should at least be quasi-competitive. I'm not going to forget to build enough settlers like in MD...

At any rate I'm heading out to spend tomorrow playing the game. It should be fun. And maybe the tutorial will predict the future? I like the name of the winner of that game is all I'm saying...

No comments: