Friday, June 18, 2010

Welcome Back, Kotter!

Hi Everybody! {Hi Doctor Nick!}

In the past month I've been reading some blogs. One from my friend Sky who I talk to several times a week, another from someone I went to high school with but have had no subsequent contact and one from a random dude who grows moustaches. I really got lost in their worlds while I was reading them. Now Sky's makes sense; he writes about a lot of things we do together (WoW and board games mostly) and since a bunch of people I know comment on his blog it's a lot like we're just hanging out only it's on a blog instead of in a lounge. The second one kinda makes sense; it's like getting postcards from someone I knew 13 years ago. That's almost a normal thing to have happen I would think. But the last guy, well, there's really no rational explanation for why I cared about when his baby takes naps. Read the post about moustaches and then move on is what should have happened. Vicariously live a house husbands life by reading blog posts for several hours when I probably should have been sleeping? Not a lot of sense there, I don't think.

I reread all my old posts (ok, I skimmed the outdated stuff about WoW quest chains) and don't feel like what I had was really good enough to have someone from any of those three camps read it and enjoy it. However, I think it could get to that point if I actually work at it. I want people I hang out with now to leave comments and have discussions on random things I may post. I want old friends who may randomly stumble across the blog to think "Hey, I knew that guy! What has he been up to?". And I even think I want random strangers to stumble in and find my ramblings interesting enough to waste an evening reading them.

I think I'm a cyber-voyeur. And I want to be a cyber-exhibitionist. Man, I'm really screwed up...


One thing I noticed is this site is butt ugly. I'm sure I had a good reason for picking this heinous colour scheme in the first place but I'm going to have to mess around with the templates at some point and fix it. This blog has been up for four and a half years (though not active for most of that time) and it's only gotten two comments. I'm pretty sure being painful to look at probably caused some of that.

Another is that I made too many typoes in the first place. I know the initial scope was to try to curb my anal retentive perfectionism and not edit anything at all but that's just not good enough. I intend to at least use spell check this time around! Huzzah!

I'm not sure what the focus is really going to be at this point but I'm going to see what I can do to spruce the place up and get actual posts running. I can probably cobble together a WBC 2009 recap, though with the long delay (again) it'll be just as mediocre as the last two! Maybe this year I'll still be posting come August so I'll get it done in a timely manner. One can only hope...

No comments: