Friday, January 06, 2012

Final Fantasy IV: Namingway

One of the NPCs in Final Fantasy IV is a fellow with a jaunty hat named Namingway. He's a bit of a stalker in that he appears in pretty much every town your party visits. He even shows up on the moon! His purpose in the game? He lets you change the names of your characters. Most games with variable character names would have you set the name when you first meet the character. Here they join your party with their 'real' name and you have to find Namingway to make the change.

I've always changed the names of characters in games like this when given the chance. For years I didn't really even know the real names for the characters in Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI. It wasn't until I went to University and started living in Comfy Prime and needed to be able to talk to Sthenno and Byung about the games that I cared enough to really learn them. Even then, for most of the characters I don't initially think of them with their real names. It's not Cecil, it's Nick. It's not Rydia, it's Jo. It's really not Cid. That's definitely Barfy. No, I don't remember why I possibly used that name when I was 11. Freud would be happy to hear I used to name Rosa "Mom" until I played the game enough to actually figure out what was going on there with Cecil. Getting cozy indeed. Now Rosa gets to stay Rosa...

As far as the game goes I've done a few major plot points. I completed Mount Ordeals which turned Nick into a Paladin and taught Drew the Meteo spell. It's time to find Golbez and drop a meteor on his head!

No comments: