Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Civ V Revisited

Yesterday I finally got around to trying to fix my desktop which stopped working over a year ago. (I wanted to play Star Wars: The Old Republic and didn't think my laptop would be able to handle it.) I thought it wasn't starting up at all but when I gave it a shot yesterday it spun up for a little bit before randomly cutting out. I thought I'd decided the motherboard was dead but that didn't seem to be the case after all. With it getting into the ram check and the bios before turning off I figured it was probably a power supply issue which is easy enough to fix... Buy a new power supply! So I went out in a blizzard to a nearby computer parts store, bought one, and brought it back. Hooked it up and was able to boot into Windows! Victory! And then it turned off again...

Hmm. I did a little random googling and found out this might be an overheating issue. My bios has a CPU temperature gauge so I booted into it after letting the computer sit for a bit and it came up at 90 degrees. And then slowly got bigger and bigger until the computer turned itself off at around 110. Which is really, really hot. Clearly my fan wasn't cutting it, probably because it had been disconnected for over a year and wasn't making proper contact with the CPU anymore. The store was closed by this point so I went out after work to find some thermal paste. Got some, put it on... Victory! The bios showed the temperature at a mere 60 degrees which is certainly workable.

Two problems solved... Would any more crop up? I booted into Windows and tinkered around a bit with no crashes. I went and bought SWTOR and started installing it. No crashes. I installed League of Legends at the same time. No crashes. And then I gave in to temptation and clicked on the little V on my task bar... If anything I had was going to overheat the computer it was going to be Civ V while installing two games. No crashes! Woo!

I believe Steam had auto-patched Civ V for me as it seemed a lot different than when I played it a fair bit back when it first came out. I don't know if embarking was a thing that I didn't use, or a thing I forgot, or a thing they added in but I like it! I'm kinda screwed in my current game as I didn't learn about it until all the islands were taken but what are you going to do? This is a learning game! Next game will be for keeps!

2 comments:

Sky said...

Embarking has been there all the time. The changes in the game have been primarily to balance like changing building characteristics and unit stats. They have also improved the AI drastically. I am working on my CiV mod again, I will ship it to you once I get it done if you want to try it.

Ziggyny said...

Is there a mod to make bombers attack instantly instead of taking forever to fly over to the target?