Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 91

Board 91 – Dealer South – No Vul

My hand: ♠ K 8 2 ♥ K 5 2 ♦ T 9 ♣ J T 9 3 2

Partner opens 1 club in third seat. East overcalls 1 diamond. I bid 2 clubs which gets passed around to East who gets in there with 2 diamonds which gets passed out. I lead the J of clubs.

WEST
♠ Q 9 7 4 3
♥ 9 4 3
♦ Q 7 2
♣ 7 4



SOUTH
♠ K 8 2
♥ K 5 2
♦ T 9
♣ J T 9 3 2


West North East South
Pass
Pass1♣ 1♦ 2♣
PassPass ♦ All Pass

J-4-A-5. 8-K-2-7. Declarer starts t draw trump. 3-T-Q-6. And now he plays a heart. 3-8-J-K. What should I fire back? I have a feeling a club would be a ruff and sluff. A trump is probably my safest exit, so I go with that. 9-2-J-A. Declarer shifts to spades now. 6-2-3-T. Partner tries to cash his A of spades. A-4 of diamonds-8-4. Declarer cashes his Q of clubs. Q-3-4 of hearts-6. And now the A of hearts. A-2-9-6. Ruff a heart. Ruff a spade. All trump left. Making 4.


NORTH
♠ A J T 5
♥ Q T 8 6
♦ J 6
♣ A 8 6

WEST
♠ Q 9 7 4 3
♥ 9 4 3
♦ Q 7 2
♣ 7 4

EAST
♠ 6
♥ A J 7
♦ A K 8 5 4 3
♣ K Q 5

SOUTH
♠ K 8 2
♥ K 5 2
♦ T 9
♣ J T 9 3 2


Professor Jack disagrees with selling out to 2 diamonds. He wants me to bid 3 clubs. I don't think it's really my place to do that since I have what I said I had with my first bid. Oh well.

He then disagrees with playing the T of diamonds instead of the 9. His reasoning isn't that it's a bad signal but that he thinks it might not work out as expected. THEY'RE EQUIVALENT JACK! IT WORKS JUST AS EXPECTED!


On the replay my hand bids 3 clubs which just makes East bid 3 diamonds. They also make 4.

Nick: -130
Jack: -130
IMPs: +0 (+12 total)

No comments: